In 2013, Alabama Power retired the Powell Avenue Steam Plant in downtown Birmingham after more than a century of service. Alabama Power is now examining how this historic structure could be reinvented to support economic development and contribute to the ongoing revitalization of our city.

The History

The Powell Avenue Steam Plant was built in 1896 by the Consolidated Electric Light & Power Company. It provided steam and electricity for downtown businesses and powered the nation’s second largest streetcar system. The plant became part of the Birmingham Electric Company in 1921 and was acquired by Alabama Power in 1952 when the two companies merged.

The Vision

The Powell Avenue Steam Plant has been a fixture on Birmingham’s skyline for over a century. Reimagined, it can become a part of our city’s transformation by becoming a thriving and diverse destination. A place where creativity and innovation combine to generate economic energy for the future of Birmingham.

Follow Our Progress